If you were a resident of Southern Ontario this week you might have felt that you were being prepped for Judgment Day. News stories from all communication mediums were professing the apocalyptic storm on a direct path for Canada, taking with it everything including women, children and yes, even cute puppies. Much like a sorority semi-formal, watching the build up to the event was much more exciting than the actual occasion…schools and large businesses closed, generators fueled-up and standing by, intense Italian and Portuguese men so eager to use their snow blowers they could almost smell the exhaust fumes…but alas, disappointment quickly ensued.
After an excited anticipation for what the “experts” were calling the worst thing to hit Ontario since the Toronto Leafs (kidding), I was left with nothing to show except for large unopened vats of peanut butter and Costco-sized pallets of water bottles – yep, the storm was a dud.
After an excited anticipation for what the “experts” were calling the worst thing to hit Ontario since the Toronto Leafs (kidding), I was left with nothing to show except for large unopened vats of peanut butter and Costco-sized pallets of water bottles – yep, the storm was a dud.
Now don’t get me wrong here folks – we did receive a fair share of snow and ice (which later had to be shoveled out of my driveway) but altogether the predicted 40cm dumping was in actuality a dusting of about 5cm – just enough to form that perfect front yard snow angel without the worry of a mini-scale avalanche as your Golden Retriever tries to dig you out from what appears to be a treacherous situation…I mean, what else is he supposed to think when you’re laying on the ground flailing your arms and legs?
But I digress.
For those of you whom I haven’t spoken with in awhile, I’m now volunteering at a soup kitchen on Thursday evenings as part of my time with the Young Adults group I’ve joined. Apprehensive at first I’ve come to enjoy the fellowship with the patrons and I’m continually fascinated with the different stories that everyone has in regards to where life has taken them and how they got there. For some it’s been relapses into substance abuse, others have no family and simply come for the warm meal and friendship…it’s been a great chance for a step back into humility and a new level of appreciation for all that God has given me.
As tradition dictates the volunteers all trek to Red Brick Coffee House after the kitchen closes at 9:30. I have also come to enjoy this routine as the group catches up on the week’s activities and discusses weekend plans and current events – amazing how much entertainment a $1.85 cup of coffee can bring you sometimes.
Now for those waiting in dire angst for my next trip to California you need wait no longer. Saturday I’ll be flying into San Francisco on a direct flight landing at 10:45 a.m. – I’m planning on spending some time in “The City” with friends so if you’ll be in SF be sure to give me a ring (remember, no texting while I’m on my international plan). Sunday/Monday will be a short stop in Sacramento and then down to the farm for the World Ag Expo and my grandmother’s 80th birthday on Saturday the 12th – a jam packed week but I’m looking forward to the visit.
I’ll end this post with a favorite quote, reflective on my life right now.
I’ll end this post with a favorite quote, reflective on my life right now.
"Life is no straight and easy corridor along which we travel free and unhampered, but a maze of passages, through which we must seek our way, lost and confused, now and again checked in a blind alley...But always, if we have faith, a door will open for us, not perhaps one that we ourselves would have thought of, but one that will ultimately prove good for us." - A.J. Cronin
| Shoveling out the driveway |
| Finished Product! |
| Angela washing dishes before strategically dropping a spoon so I would have to bend over and pick it up. |
| Tomato Soup and Egg Salad Sandwiches...yum |
| And Angela again - funny how she wants to be in all of my pictures. |
| Red Brick Coffee House |
No comments:
Post a Comment